Tallgrass Energy Partners
Tallgrass Pony Express Pipeline, LLC (PXP) is a 690-mile crude oil pipeline running from Guernsey, Wyo., to the oil hub of Cushing, Okla. With its initial capacity to transport 230,000 barrels of oil per day (bbl/d), the Pony Express pipeline links new and emerging oil plays such as the Bakken and the Powder River Basin to markets across the country. Since becoming operational in October 2014, Pony Express has played a pivotal role in furthering the country’s goal of becoming energy independent by adding capacity for safe and reliable energy transportation.
The Pony Express Pipeline consists of two components: 1) the conversion of a 430-mile natural gas pipeline and 2) a newly constructed 260-mile southward pipeline extension. We refer to these two portions collectively as the Pony Mainline.
In addition to the Pony Mainline, Tallgrass is building the Northeast Colorado Lateral (NECL) which will provide incremental transportation service from the Niobrara Shale in Northeastern Colorado and Southeastern Wyoming. The NECL is expected to be in service in the first half of 2015, at which point Pony Express will be capable of delivering a total capacity of 320,000 bbl/d into Cushing.
Pony Express is owned jointly by Tallgrass Development, LP (33.3 percent) and Tallgrass Energy Partners, LP (66.7 percent).
For more Pony Express Pipeline operational and shipper information, please visit our
Tallgrass Pipeline Interactive Website.
Pony Express Mainline Facts
- 690 miles of pipe
- 230,000 bbl/day capacity (320,000 bbl/day upon completion of NECL)
- Operational storage capacity (leased): 2.25 million barrels at the Cushing terminal
- 10 pump stations
- Supply areas: Bakken and Powder River Basins
- Markets served: Cushing, Okla., NYMEX Hub
Northeast Colorado Lateral Expansion Project Facts
- Nearly 70 miles of pipe
- 90,000 bbl/day incremental capacity to Pony Mainline
- Operational storage capacity (leased): 1.3 million barrels at the Sterling terminal
- 5 new pump stations
- Supply areas: Niobrara Shale in Northeastern Colorado and Southeastern Wyoming
- Intersects Pony Mainline east of Sterling, Colo., for delivery to Cushing
Pony Express Pipeline
370 Van Gordon Street
Lakewood, Colorado 80228