Tallgrass Energy Partners
Tallgrass Pony Express Pipeline, LLC (PXP) is a 764-mile crude oil pipeline running from Guernsey, Wyo., to the U.S. oil hub of Cushing, Okla. With a design capacity to transport 320,000 barrels of oil per day (bbl/d), Pony Express links new and emerging oil plays such as the Bakken, the Powder River Basin and the Niobrara Shale to markets across the country.
PXP consists of three components: 1) the conversion of a 433-mile natural gas pipeline; 2) a recently constructed 265-mile southward pipeline extension; and 3) the Northeast Colorado Lateral (NECL), a 66-mile extension built in 2014-2015 that interconnects with the Pony Mainline near Sterling, Colo., and provides transportation service from the Niobrara Shale in Northeastern Colorado and Southeastern Wyoming. We refer to the first two portions collectively as the Pony Mainline. The Pony Mainline and NECL were placed in service in October 2014 and April 2015 respectively.
Pony Express is owned jointly by Tallgrass Energy Partners, LP (98%) and Tallgrass Development, LP (2%).
For more Pony Express Pipeline operational and shipper information, please visit our
Tallgrass Pipeline Interactive Website.
Pony Express Mainline Facts
- 698 miles of pipe
- 230,000 bbl/day capacity (320,000 bbl/day including NECL)
- Operational storage capacity: 2.25 million barrels at the Cushing terminal
- 10 pump stations
- Supply areas: Bakken and Powder River Basins
- Markets served: Cushing, Okla., NYMEX Hub
Northeast Colorado Lateral Expansion Facts
- 66 miles of pipe
- 90,000 bbl/day incremental capacity to Pony Mainline
- Operational storage capacity: 1.3 million barrels at the Sterling terminal
- 5 pump stations
- Supply areas: Niobrara Shale in Northeastern Colorado and Southeastern Wyoming
- Intersects Pony Mainline east of Sterling, Colo., for delivery to Cushing
Pony Express Pipeline
370 Van Gordon Street
Lakewood, Colorado 80228